The Prevention Workshop
Adults Resolving Child Sexual Abuse in Community
Little Warriors offers Darkness to Light’s Stewards of Children workshop. The Stewards of Children workshop is designed for all responsible adults, including parents and organizations that serve children and youth.
The Stewards of Children Prevention Workshop runs three hours in length at a cost of $30/participant or $20/participant for students or staff/volunteers of non-profit organizations. Group rates are available and are: 2 or more registrations are $25 per person and non-profit groups are $20 per person. Individuals can register online or organizations can book a workshop at their location by completing the Group Booking Form.
Please note that children and/or adolescents under the age of 18 are not permitted to participate or be present during the Stewards of Children Child Sexual Abuse Prevention Workshop.
Stewards of Children Prevention Workshop
The curriculum is useful for parents, professionals or organizations who are
▪ seeking training for staff and volunteers in the prevention of child sexual abuse.
▪ wanting to make a difference in their community
▪ needing to respond to insurance requirements regarding child protection
▪ seeking Continuing Education Credits.
The workshop includes
▪ an interactive workbook for each participant containing the full program curriculum
▪ DVD segments of sexual abuse survivors relating to their stories of violation and healing, with segments from the author of the curriculum and from professionals who interface daily with the problem of sexual abuse
▪ opportunity for discussion about important issues in sexual abuse prevention and the relevance of these issues within organizations that serve children and adolescents.
After the workshop, participants will
▪ understand the facts of child sexual abuse – incidence rates and effects on individuals and society
▪ understand how child sexual abuse happens
▪ understand that adults are responsible for the protection of children
▪ understand the importance of screening staff/volunteers who work with children and adolescents
▪ understand the importance of a well conceived one-adult/one-child policy
▪ have resources to react responsibly to incidents of child sexual abuse
▪ understand the proactive role youth-serving organizations need to take to protect
children and educate their communities about child sexual abuse
▪ receive a certificate of attendance
Can individuals register for the workshop?
We offer workshops within communities across Canada that individuals or groups can register for. To view our up to date schedule visit our website www.littlewarriors.ca Click on Learn More or Register for the Prevention Program. You can register online or call the office at 780.447.1343 or toll free 1.888.440.1343. Please note that children and/or adolescents under the age of 18 are not permitted to participate or be present during the workshop.
Is there a fee for the workshop?
Yes, there is a fee. We are a non-profit, charitable organization and we have to cover our costs to deliver this workshop. Each participant receives a manual and a certificate. The fees are $30 per person, $25 per person for groups of 2-30 people, $20 per person for students and staff/volunteers of non-profit organizations. Mileage, accommodations, shipping of materials and a food allowance may also apply.
Can I host a workshop at my organization, school, or for a group of friends?
Absolutely! Simply complete a Group Booking Form to have a facilitator come out to your group to do a session. We ask for a couple of date options to match our availability. Once we have received your form you will receive confirmation of what date we are able to accommodate. We ask that there is a minimum of 10 people for a group session and a maximum of 30 people.
For a workshop at my location what do I need to provide?
A room that is available for a 4 hour time slot with enough chairs for participants. If you chose to provide snacks and drinks that is up to you; Little Warriors does not provide this. We ask that the space has the equipment available to play a DVD ( a TV and DVD player or a laptop, projector and speakers) If you are not able to provide equipment and someone to operate please let us know before booking. Please note there may be a charge for equipment to be brought or rented.
How do I book a workshop at my location?
What do I need to do to prepare for the workshop at my location?
3-5 days prior to the session, the Regional Program Coordinator will contact you to ask for a list of names of the registered participants. This will allow us to prepare certificates for each person that is attending. On the day of the session, please ensure that your room is set up with chairs for enough participants and a TV and DVD player or laptop, projector, screen and speakers. Be prepared to meet the facilitator at the location ½ hour before the session is to start so they have time to get set up.
Continuing Education Units/Credits and Professional Development
The Alberta College of Social Workers (ACSW) has approved the Stewards of Children program with 3 Category A Credits.
The Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association has pre-approved the Stewards of Children program for 3 Continuing Education Unit Credits.
The Stewards of Children program is eligible for 3 Continuing Competence Program Credits with the College of Registered Dental Hygienists of Alberta and the Saskatchewan Dental Hygenists’ Association.
The Stewards of Children program is approved by Alberta Human Servics for eligible staff and programs to use Professional Development Funding to attend.
For more information about the Stewards of Children program, please call toll free at 1-888-440-1343, or email email@example.com.